In this post, we are going to learn about nickel-plated bronze, a modern material that offers high resistance to corrosion and is present in many of the accessories used in bathroom doors, swimming pool elements, tools, elements used in wet areas and others.
Humanity has experienced moments of change over time. The most important changes that allowed our civilization to advance are several, but among all of them, the discovery and use of metals and alloys represented a remarkable point of no return. This transition put an end to the stone age and opened the doors to the metal age. Now, before we talk about nickel-plated brass, let’s answer the following question:
Bronze is an alloy obtained by combining copper with tin in certain proportions. This alloy can also contain other types of metals, but depending on the element added, it ceases to be bronze itself and can become brass, among other variants. Among the main characteristics of this metallic material we have the following:
– Corrosion resistance. This property makes it ideal for manufacturing parts that work in environments where humidity or other corrosive factors are a problem.
– It is a malleable metal and easy to handle. This makes it perfect for jobs that require changes, as it is easy to mold, unlike pure steel.
– It is resistant to friction and contact with other surfaces. This makes it a safe material that does not generate ignition in environments where, for example, there are leaks of fluids or combustible gases.
– It is versatile. The most common uses of bronze are at an industrial level, in the generation of coins, jewelry, musical instruments, accessories for bathroom doors, among others.
Now that we know what kind of material bronze is, let’s move on to nickel plating.
Nickel plating is a process that involves the application or coating of a metal surface with nickel. This action has the main purpose of increasing the corrosion resistance of the metal and at the same time contributes to its good finish.
The addition of this protective layer is usually done by means of an electrolytic bath, where in a controlled environment, a liquid solution is used (with electrolytic behavior), an anode (a portion of nickel in solid state) and a cathode (the piece that we want to cover). Both, anode and cathode, are immersed in the electrolytic solution and then by adding electric current, the displacement of nickel ions towards the surface of the piece to be coated is obtained.
– From the outset, the bronze pieces that receive this protection treatment acquire greater resistance to corrosion.
– It is the protective layer that resists and faces environmental conditions while the metal itself is not damaged or worn.
– The surface finish achieved is pleasing to the eye. It features a bright silver-white color that is attractive and will not tarnish or discolor over time.
– It allows products to be installed in areas where greater protection against corrosive agents is required. Thanks to its improved strength, a nickel-plated bronze accessory is useful in almost any working condition.
– It is not a material that contaminates or generates unwanted reactions on contact with the skin. This condition makes it useful in any design that requires user contact.
Our swing bathroom doors are designed in tempered glass and high-quality nickel-plated bronze accessories. They have a 10-year guarantee and thanks to the variety available, the designs cover spaces at 90°, 135° and 180°.
We have hinges, clips, handles, pipes, guides and more. Everything you need for your projects.
If you want to learn more about the materials of our products, cleaning and maintenance tips, recommendations, the world of 3D modeling and rendering, and much more, don’t hesitate to visit our blog. We publish weekly content and if you want us to delve into a topic of interest (or if you want us to write an entry for your blog), do not hesitate to send us your request in our contact section.
Finally, remember to follow us on our social media profiles on Facebook and Instagram, where you will be up to date with our latest projects and designs.